Epoch of the Marxist Youth

For aspiring and studying marxist youth to come together and discuss the true way forward
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Secular Humanism

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SicSemperTryannis
Radical


Posts : 66
Join date : 2008-07-04
Age : 27
Location : Cape Coral, FL

PostSubject: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:51 am

Cool, or not cool?

You decide!

My vote: Cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meatspin.com
Anarchist.Dagger
Soviet Administrator


Posts : 89
Join date : 2008-07-08
Age : 28
Location : Amerikkka

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:24 pm

I guess its cool. But all of it's normal, common sense kinda stuff. It's kinda sad that you have to write up tenets for things people should do regularly. Just seems strange to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liche
Leftist


Posts : 8
Join date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:29 pm

who stole my avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is that you nillerz Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:28 pm

lol no that weiwuwei and i dont think that flag belongs to anyone so..........
Back to top Go down
axcept green or die!
Radical


Posts : 66
Join date : 2008-07-04
Age : 22

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:17 am

not cool. idealist liberal rilegion of thinking pepul are great. fuck humans!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://karlmarxforum.darkbb.com
Zealot_Kommunizma
Radical


Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:58 am

Liche wrote:
who stole my avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is that you nillerz Mad

Isn't this OT comrade? (Operating Thetan of course...) Open a new thread to substanciate your rights over the Anarcho-Syndicalist flag! Wink (Just kidding Wink)

Secular Humanism... how would you comrades define it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://worldrepublic.forumotion.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:25 pm

its atheism with ethics
Back to top Go down
Zealot_Kommunizma
Radical


Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:40 pm

Ruadhan wrote:
its atheism with ethics

Is it purely materialist or is there some metaphysic thought comprised within it as well?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://worldrepublic.forumotion.com
SicSemperTryannis
Radical


Posts : 66
Join date : 2008-07-04
Age : 27
Location : Cape Coral, FL

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Zealot_Kommunizma wrote:
Ruadhan wrote:
its atheism with ethics

Is it purely materialist or is there some metaphysic thought comprised within it as well?

Well, there is "Religious Humanism" which does have some metaphysical elements to it that aren't specifically designated to a specific religion. You could compare Religious or Theistic Humanism with Unitarian Universalism or Deism, somewhat.

Secular Humanism, conversely, roots its belief solely in the empirical. To them, there is no higher power; thus, it is up to us to aid others. We should not be reliant on a deity (Especially when, by their belief, there might not be one).

Most Secular Humanists are Atheists, but I'd not be surprised to see a few Agnostics who identify themselves with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meatspin.com
Zealot_Kommunizma
Radical


Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Lets not say a "higher power" but, what about a soul? Is that also not within Secular (atheist) humanism? After all, believing in a soul does not imply believing in a diety.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://worldrepublic.forumotion.com
SicSemperTryannis
Radical


Posts : 66
Join date : 2008-07-04
Age : 27
Location : Cape Coral, FL

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Zealot_Kommunizma wrote:
Lets not say a "higher power" but, what about a soul? Is that also not within Secular (atheist) humanism? After all, believing in a soul does not imply believing in a diety.

From a personal perspective, I'd say that I'm a Secular Humanist in that I agree with the tenets outlined in the Secular Humanist Declaration. And I don't believe in a soul.

I would think that a "soul" would fall under the category of metaphysical concepts. But you are correct; you don't need to believe in a deity to believe in souls. But you do need to believe in a certain, if vague, sense of spirituality, which I do not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meatspin.com
Zealot_Kommunizma
Radical


Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:38 pm

Quote :
Need to test beliefs A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
Reason, evidence, scientific method A commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
Fulfillment, growth, creativity A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
Search for truth A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
This life A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
Ethics A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
Building a better world A conviction that with reason, an open exchange of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.

These being the tenets?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://worldrepublic.forumotion.com
SicSemperTryannis
Radical


Posts : 66
Join date : 2008-07-04
Age : 27
Location : Cape Coral, FL

PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:44 am

Zealot_Kommunizma wrote:
Quote :
Need to test beliefs A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
Reason, evidence, scientific method A commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
Fulfillment, growth, creativity A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
Search for truth A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
This life A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
Ethics A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
Building a better world A conviction that with reason, an open exchange of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.

These being the tenets?

Yep yep, that's them. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meatspin.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Secular Humanism   

Back to top Go down
 
Secular Humanism
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Epoch of the Marxist Youth :: Critical Marxist Thinking :: Idealism and Religion-
Jump to: